As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development is looking to employ a
Research Software Engineer Ontologies and Data Management Technologies (m/f/d)
to join the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group (Prof. Dr. Sören Auer) at the earliest possible opportunity.
The position is limited to three years. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
Your challengeWe are looking for an ambitious software engineer aiming to build research data and information management systems building on semantic technologies and contributing to strategic research and technology goals of TIB and the Joint Lab with Leibniz University Hannover.
Your tasks will focus onThe candidate is expected to take a leading role in the research group, contribute to the project “Digitalization in rubber processing – the example of extrusion” (DIGIT RUBBER), funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) as well as the project “Digispecies”, supported by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture (MWK) by funds from the “Niedersächsisches Vorab” of the VolkswagenStiftung. He/she should have experience in the following areas:
- Proven software engineering skills and the ability to develop mature software components beyond pure research prototypes
- Comprehensive experience with data management technologies, in particular relational databases and semantic data management involving ontologies
- Experience and interest in working in research teams
- Collaboration with other research groups in the context of collaborative research projects
Your qualitiesThe ideal candidate holds a Master degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or a related field and is able to combine theoretical and practical aspects in his/her work. A doctoral degree is a plus. The candidate should have a background in a field relevant for Web and Data Science, such as:
- Semantic technologies, linked data, knowledge graphs and ontology engineering
- Management of live data streams from sensor data in a semantic framework
- Data management, integration, and analysis
- Human-computer interaction and data visualization
- Software engineering and modern application development
Fluent English communication skills are a fundamental requirement; command of the German language is a plus.
What we offerTIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world’s leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- The successful candidate will work in the context of a national, European or international research and innovation projects
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Prof. Dr. Sören Auer, Director of TIB and head of the TIB research department, by mail at Auer@tib.eu as well as to Dr. Lars Vogt (Lars.Vogt@tib.eu), Postdoctoral Researcher in the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group.
How to applyWe look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 34⁄2021 before June 5, 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) Personalservice Herrn Daniel Eilers Welfengarten 1 B 30167 Hannover Germany
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to firstname.lastname@example.org. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we areTIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: www.tib.eu/en/Link: https://www.tib.eu/en/tib/careers-and-apprenticeships/vacancies