Who we are
The future of transportation is Green. Here at FlixMobility Tech, the R&D group, we develop software with the brightest minds from around the world to engineer new experiences for our millions of customers across our apps and websites. Every day we solve challenging problems, like how to scale rapidly around the world and how to make an experience that delights our customers. We have a culture of sharing ideas, contributing to open source projects and being an active member in our technical communities.
To support our ambitious growth, we’re looking for an outstanding Data Scientist (m/f/x) to join our Berlin team as soon as possible.
We are striving to solve highly challenging real-world problems that have an impact (and that are NOT related to marketing!)
Your tasks - Paint the world green
Our goal is to sell the right ticket at the right time to the right person for the right price to maximize revenue. This is an extremely formidable problem as the FlixBus network is huge and highly entangled. For instance, we serve ~250 000 trips through several thousand rides each day.
Airlines have faced this problem for decades, but their (rather old-fashioned) solutions are not directly applicable to the pricing structure, size and interconnectedness of the FlixBus network. Unlike a typical flight, a bus ride serves multiple trips (destination pairs), that have a shared resource: the bus capacity, i.e. number of seats. Furthermore, there are many more bus rides than flights within one day that serve the same or similar trips.
Why should you apply?
• Your work will revolutionize dynamic pricing and revenue management for large transportation networks
• Your work will have a major influence on company revenue, and hence you will be shaping the future of the FlixBus business
• You are free to employ the best suited technologies for the problem at hand, whether it’s a cutting-edge deep learning algorithm or a stochastic optimization method from the 70s
• You will have access to a rich source of data that FlixBus has collected over the past years, including sales, search requests and competitor prices
• You will join a cross-functional team of highly motivated data scientists and engineers. We hold regular knowledge-sharing sessions for exchanging ideas about the latest technologies and organize bi-monthly HackrDays were we contribute to open source projects.
• You will be working with a modern data infrastructure based on docker, kubernetes and AWS
• We pay competitively, offer relocation support, and language course support
• Conducting research and coordinating the R&D of the fellow data scientists in your team
• Supporting your product team in delivering business value – that is a team level responsibility. We call this responsibility Product First
• Analyzing large and complex data sets
• Bringing machine learning prototypes to production
• Working closely with multiple levels of stakeholders
• Driving the development of organizational-level topics that potentially require the collaboration of multiple teams spread across several domains
• Actively creating, collecting and spreading knowledge
Your Profile - Ready to hop on board
• Ideally you have a PhD/Advanced degree in Machine Learning/Mathematics/Statistics
• Proven track record as a highly skilled data scientist who is active in the data science community (e.g. open source contributions and publications in relevant journals)
• 5+ years industry experience in a similar role (data scientist, machine learning engineer, research scientist, revenue management engineer etc.)
• Advanced software development skills (preferably python), you know how to handle data from various sources and how to bring machine learning prototypes to production
• Deep understanding of machine learning algorithms, you know which one to choose for which problem
• Excellent communication skills
• Exceptional skills in one or more of the following: Operations research, econometrics, dynamic pricing, revenue management; Mathematical optimization, especially stochastic optimization; Statistics and probabilistic programming; Forecasting; Reinforcement learning and dynamic programming
Perks - More than just a job
• Drive change. With innovation and smart technology, we are changing the way people travel, and you too can have an impact on this ride. Everyone is equally important and works together on uncharted challenges alongside inspiring colleagues from all over the world.
• Trust-based working. We don’t punch the clock – organize your own schedule. We trust in what you do!
• Fun at work and beyond. Discover the world with your free FlixBus rides and join our regular team events, there’s always something to celebrate!
• Feel at home. We provide you with a comfortable working space, free drinks, casual dress code, diverse employee discounts and more.