Zalon is the successful story of curating and delivering complete outfits for our customers. Part of Europe’s Leading Technology Fashion Platform, we live and breathe excellent software engineering.
As part of our recruitment ramp-up for a designated Data Science & Research Engineering team, you, as a Python Backend Engineer will bring the engineering perspective into our products. Expect a role where you will have immediate impact as we iterate fast and experiment a lot, welcoming your innovative engineering ideas to the table. The teams work with full end-to-end responsibility on solving the challenges at hand - starting with ideating over prototyping and user testing to bringing features live and checking their performance.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Python skills (deep understanding of language internals, profiling, best practices, eg. Pandas, Scikit-learn). Java or Scala experience (or an interest) would also be appreciated.
- Solid understanding of data structures, coding standards, best practices, software design, architecture.
- Interest in setting up monitoring, tracking and reporting, designing and implementing pipelines for training and deploying new models and a real curiosity around “how algorithms work”.
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs, particularly using cloud infrastructure such as AWS. Knowledge of microservice architecture and distributed systems is also advantageous.
- At least 3 years of professional programming experience in a commercial environment, backed-up by a Masters or Bachelor Degree in a relevant subject or additional working experience.
- English language fluency
- You will communicate with the data scientists (or machine learning experts or research engineers) and exchange ideas about solutions to the existent and potential problems. You will do this by identifying the right components and putting them together in the correct manner.
- You will work closely with product owners and the business counterparts, acting as a sparring partner on technical solutions to our immediate challenges.
- You will be part of a team where Code Quality, Code Reviews, Test Coverage, etc. are kept at very high standards, therefore you should also be positive and firm in your attitude towards them.
- You design, develop, deploy, operate and improve important software solutions, that your peers praise for its elegance and code readability.
- You will be accountable for all aspects of your work as you and your team will own your code, and decide on the technologies and tools to deliver as well operate large-scale applications on PaaS/SaaS cloud (AWS).
- You and your team will work like a startup and take ownership for the whole development cycle - from ideation over design to implementation and maintenance.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Tech culture of trust and empowerment, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, +100 internal technical and fun guilds, tech talks, product demos, Coderdojos, Hack weeks, parties and events.
- Competitive salary, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, public transport discounts, relocation assistance for internationals, free drinks and fruits, hardware of your choice.
- Tour of Mastery, extensive onboarding, personal branding support, opportunity to attend and speak at related Conferences and Meetups, and encouragement to publish your work.
- Work Environment. Self-organized, autonomous teams and flexible working hours. Zalon is a 2.5-year-old start-up backed up by Zalando SE, therefore you can expect that your work will have immediate impact and you will participate in developing significant improvements.