SPRING is responsible for over 60 products from more than 25 Brands and some of Europe’s biggest news sites including BILD.de and WELT.de. Over 350 people at SPRING are working on an innovative media platform to make quality journalism accessible for everyone. We are providing a great user experience on both sides – for readers and journalists, connecting them with the newest technologies.
Together with BILD.de and WELT.de we are reaching more than 20m users every day and our data pool is growing constantly. In addition, our data contains thousands of articles, images, videos and user content. Long story short: We have tons of data!
We, a small team of Data Engineers and Data Scientists, want to dive deep into this massive amount of data to help making data related business decisions and forecasts to help growing our business. You, our new team member, will be responsible to analyze usage patterns, classify and forecast user behavior and improve the live of our journalists with text classifications. Identifying use cases for machine learning and informing other stake holders in the company of how to make use of the data will be also part of your job - in general you will be an Data Advocate.
Nobody hits the ground running. You won’t be able to answer every question immediately or know how all systems work on your first day—and we don’t expect you to. Together as a team we want to grow with our data and we’re looking for you to be part of this team!
We’re looking for a data engineer who helps us building a platform that democratizes our data. If you enjoy moving, merging or cleaning (you name it) up to peta-bytes of data by utilizing AWS and Python at its best – this is your place to be.
Data informs almost everything we do at Spring. We collect and store data from all our products over millions of different users. But you will help us make sense of the data. Establish the facts by implementing a data platform that ingests, stores, processes and visualizes all data and create one single source of truth.
You should be experienced and have done similar work elsewhere. But nobody hits the ground running. You won’t be able to answer every question immediately or know how all the systems work on day one—and we don’t expect you to.We deeply believe in a DevOps, or in this case a DataOps culture. Which means you are responsible for your code and tools starts from designing to bringing them to production.
Here are some examples of projects you will work on:
- Build a data platform that ingests, stores, transforms and visualize from the many sources that we have (behavioral, contractual and meta data from content – just to name some of the sources)
- Build clean and reusable APIs that allows our data scientists and analyst to fetch all the data that they need – but not more
- You will structure a ‘lake of data’ into a ‘Data Lake’ complete with Data Dictionary, hooks for analysis and machine learning environments, as well as processes that reliably promote raw data to production readiness
- Guide, teach and learn from everyone in the organization
- Be an advocate for Data Driven decisions – explain stakeholders what Data we have and how to use it
- Shed light on our dark data
- You know the data related services of AWS (Kinesis, S3, EMR, Glue, etc.…) by heart
- You love your tools like Python and PySpark
- The ‘S’ in SQL translates for you to easy
- The more data the better
- You act independently and proactively in order to find solutions and remove obstacles
- You have an analytical mindset and the ability to visualize, articulate, solve problems, and make decisions based on the information available
- It is natural for you to work in an agile environment
What we offer at SPRING
The chance of boosting your personal development with seminars, workshops, various conferences and tech talks – like our biweekly occurring tech-breakfast
- Regular exchange and networking with subsidiaries of the Axel Springer Group (eg. Awin, idealo, Bonial, Stepstone, Immonet and many more)
- Flexible working hours
- An above average number of vacation days
- A free lunch in our on-site restaurant every day
- A MacBook, which can also be used privately
- A permanent position in a modern office in the heart of Berlin
Getting curious? Check out what we are doing on GitHub: github.com/spring-media