We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team to build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, MapReduce, and streaming solutions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses. If you’re the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives fearlessly into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone else is happy to gloss over, then you’re the one we’re looking for!
On the User Location Intelligence team, our mission is to reliably handle the industry’s best user location data. We have the opportunity to generate the optimal personalized experience for consumers, while at the same time helping business owners make smarter decisions. We can suggest the best meals at the restaurant you just walked into, pull out great just-in-time suggestions for a date night reservation, or show you the prime location to open up your next restaurant.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Our Hamburg office is located in the heart of the city and brings with it the unique advantages of booming international teams, all of whom share the same floor and are brought together by the same goal: solving the problems of both business owners and consumers.
What You Will Do:
- Build systems that can effectively stream, store, and crunch terabytes of data to power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency, and availability depending on the problem
- Innovate, design, and implement new tools and systems that will improve the data mining process
- Ensure best practices for deployment, metrics, and alerting are followed and improved
- Work with product management, data science, and data mining engineers to identify and use the data that is most relevant to the problem at hand
What We Are Looking For:
- Relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or a related field
- Deep understanding of the programing languages and systems that you’ve worked on
- Passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily
- Comfortable running services or batch jobs in a Unix environment
- Experience working with Redshift, ElasticSearch, Hadoop/MapReduce, Spark, Cassandra, or AWS DB services
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 30 days paid vacation per year
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 2-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe
- Complementary elective German lessons for international employees
- Subsidization of your public transportation card and €50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, team events, happy hours, foosball, and more!