Yelp’s data mining engineers are a passionate and diverse group of engineers who can work across disciplines to build incredible data-driven products. We are responsible for the whole stack: scoping the problem by digging through data with Redshift and Jupyter, researching and developing potential algorithms and approaches, training and tuning a model, and finally scaling it to millions of users, businesses, and advertisers.
On the User Location Intelligence team, our mission is to reliably handle the industry’s best user location data. We have the opportunity to generate the optimal personalized experience for consumers, while at the same time helping business owners make smarter decisions. We can suggest the best meals at the restaurant you just walked into, pull out great just-in-time suggestions for a date night reservation, or show you the prime location to open up your next restaurant.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Our Hamburg office is located in the heart of the city and brings with it the unique advantages of booming international teams, all of whom share the same floor and are brought together by the same goal: solving the problems of both business owners and consumers.
What You Will Do:
- Develop machine learning models and other algorithmic methods to power new products
- Extend and improve products by integrating new data sources and improving model architectures
- Design strategies for labelling, hyperparameter tuning, and model evaluation
- Bring your models into production and measure their impact through online experiments
- Analyze experimental data to determine opportunities for future improvements
- Work with infrastructure engineers to ensure the reliability and scalability of your products and systems
What We Are Looking For:
- Relevant industry experience building large scale machine learning applications
- A passion for big data and creative ideas for what to do with it
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or a related field
- The algorithms and data structures experience to make your ideas workable
- The coding experience to turn those ideas into reality: we use Python and Java; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we’ll expect you to learn them on the job
- A background in Machine Learning or Information Retrieval
- Experience applying supervised and unsupervised learning; classification, regression and ranking models; recommender systems; offline and online evaluation metrics
- Experience working with mobile data, geographic information, Redshift, Spark, ElasticSearch, Lucene, Hadoop, or MapReduce is a plus
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 30 days paid vacation per year
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 2-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe
- Complementary elective German lessons for international employees
- Subsidization of your public transportation card and €50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, team events, happy hours, foosball, and more!